ROHS-Restriction Of Hazardous Substances
ROHS specifies Restriction Of Hazardous Substances and maintain the use of hazardous substances in Electrical and Electronic Equipment (EEE). This directive will ban the placing on the European Union (EU) market of new Electrical and Electronic Equipment containing more than agreed levels of :- Lead Cadmium, Mercury, Hexavalent, Chromium(Cr-VI), Polybrominated biphenyl (PBB), Polybrominated diphenyl ether (PBDE) flame retardants. Its purpose is very clear – to restrict the use of these six substances within Electrical and Electronic Equipment, thereby contributing to the protection of human health and the environment.
Benefits Of ROHS
- The product is free from toxicity
- Increase brand value and market value
- Mandatory for the European Union (EU)
- Keep you up over the competitors.
- The product become more reliable
- The product become more safer to use
Directives Of ROHS
- Mercury (HG)
- Lead (PB)
- Cadmium (CD)
- Polybrominated biphenyls (PBB)
- Polybrominated diphenyl (PBDE)
- Hexavalent chromium (CR-VI)
Categories Of Electrical And Electronic Equipment(EEE)
- Household Appliances
- Lighting Equipment
- Toys and Sports Equipment
- Medical Devices
- Monitoring Equipment
- Control Equipments
- Automatic dispenser
- Electrical Tools
- Telecommunication and IT Equipment
Methodology To Get ROHS Certification
- This is the first step to determine the company legal exposure and someone must take responsibility for directing the effort.
- The next step to assign ownership to wide compliance team. ROHS requirements are very complex and very far reaching like affecting the manufacture, product design, distributor and sale
- After to assign the ownership to a wide compliance team then the first task of team is to define the company's goals and commitment.
- Internal roadmap will help you to define company's action. it also identify which product will be offered with deadlines and timelines for production availability and sample availability.
- The company need to looks very closely at parts and the components that helps to determine where ROHS restricted substance may exist within the product lines. Product assessment is necessary to identify the greater risk components for compliance.
- Company should qualify their suppliers to determine their level preparedness of ROHS. It helps you to begin the process.
- Develops a supply chain material declaration process to identify what substance and material are used in their products, Material declaration process is mainly used to obtain this information.
- After the declaration process of materials, a testing plan must be developed based on the identify high risk components. It is not necessary to testing all components.
- Once companies compile material information, then they are able to manage and exchange with the customer. Data exchange and data collection could reduce the complexity and cost of compliance.
- ROHS compliance is very complex and need to commitments from several departments. Once it must be implemented company-wide then the engineers should update specification design and the procurement officer should be understand which suppliers are in high risk and the corporate team must change the legal determination and requirements. Specification reflects the ROHS substances limits and procurement needs to monitor the supply chain and communicate to the supplier's importance of compliance.